We are pleased to announce that MassMEDIC is relaunching its MedTech IGNITE Program. Supported in part by a grant from the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center (MLSC), IGNITE will provide the medtech start up community with training, mentorship, and networking opportunities for founders and entrepreneurs.
IGNITE was originally launched in 2004 and ran for ten years, identifying, training and mentoring future medtech leaders. Notable graduates of the IGNITE program include Jim Biggins, founder and CEO of Access Vascular and John McDonough, founder, President and CEO of T2Biosystems among others. MassMEDIC is pleased to be bringing this program back to the medtech community of Greater Boston, at a time of growing investment and innovation locally.
The MassMEDIC IGNITE Program 2019 Cohort will include approximately ten medtech founders and entrepreneurs. Participants who complete the program can expect to grow their network, secure mentors, sharpen their pitch and raise their visibility among potential investors and partners.
Our Steering Committee:
The IGNITE Steering Committee includes leading medtech experts in entrepreneurship, business management, engineering, design and finance. The Steering Committee members will assist in shaping the program and curriculum and will provide mentoring and counsel to the 2019 Cohort.
· Brian Johnson, President, MassMEDIC
· John McDonough, President and CEO, T2 Biosystems
· MaryAnn Picard, Director of Operations, M2D2 at UMass
· Rachel Robinson, Director New Product Development, Design Concepts
· Bridget Ross, former President, Global Medical Group, Henry Schein, Inc.
· Mira Sahney, President and CEO, Hyalex Orthopaedics, Inc.
· Aaron Sandoski, Managing Director, Norwich Partners
· Martha Shadan, President and CEO, Miach Orthopaedics, Inc.
· Ellen Sheets, Entrepreneur in Residence, Partners Innovation Fund
· Helen Shik, Principal, Shik Communications LLC
IGNITE 2019 Program Offerings:
Training will be facilitated by leading medtech, business, legal and finance experts as well as serial entrepreneurs and founders. Starting at the 30,000 foot overview down to review of real-world case studies and scenario simulations, participants will gain insights on a wide range of business topics, including:
· Founders’ concerns
· Funding and cash management
· The regulatory pathway(s)
· The clinical and R&D pathway(s)
· Building a team
· IP management
· Design and product development
· Market opportunity assessment
IGNITE 2019 Program Overview:
Cohort members will have the opportunity to attend seven group coaching sessions conducted by experts and industry consultants on a range of topics. The Advisory Board members will also be available to tap for advice. A Slack Channel for the Cohort will enable peer to peer communication and support.
Who should apply:
· Company founders and CEOs/Presidents of medical device start-ups who have secured at least seed-round funding
· Entrepreneurs with a business plan who have assessed their IP position
· Accelerator or incubator program participants
IGNITE 2019 Program Overview:
- April 1: Application process begins
- April 26: Deadline to apply to the IGNITE 2019 Cohort
- April 30: IGNITE 2019 Cohort announced
- May 3: Founders Bootcamp at WPI Seaport Campus with Professor Matt Marx, BU Questrom School of Business
- May 30: Pitch workshop (Preparation for MedTech Showcase)
- June 6: Medtech Showcase Pitch Presentation at DeviceTalks
- October: Medtech Bootcamp at Ximedica
- Dates TBD: Group Coaching Sessiona