Who We Are
The Massachusetts Medical Device Industry Council (MassMEDIC) is an organization of medical device manufacturers, suppliers and associated non-profit groups in Massachusetts and the surrounding region.
Founded in 1996 by medical device company executives to establish a unified voice for the Bay State’s vibrant medical technology sector, MassMEDIC has grown to become the largest regional medical device association in the United States, with over 350 members representing manufacturers, product developers, suppliers, research institutions and academic health centers. Over the past 15 years, the efforts of MassMEDIC and its members have driven MedTech industry success and growth in the region, establishing Massachusetts as the nation’s second largest medical technology community. View member directory.
MassMEDIC president, Thomas J. Sommer, has led the organization since its inception. During his tenure, Sommer has served as the association’s chief executive officer, managing its day-to-day operations and working with medical device industry executives in developing its policy agenda. Read Tom’s bio.
What We Do
MassMEDIC strives to create a positive environment which will nurture developing companies, retain and help established medical device companies to grow, and attract new companies to Massachusetts. MassMEDIC provides services, programs and collaborative initiatives with the goal of making Massachusetts the medical device research, development and manufacturing capital of the world. These include:
- Advocacy: Since its earliest days, MassMEDIC has advocated industry positions at the state and federal levels to promote policies developed by our members that reflect the unique interests of the state’s medical device sector
- Access: To drive industry and individual member growth, MassMEDIC provides members with access to information on key policies and trends impacting the sector and introductions to manufacturers, suppliers, researchers, industry leaders, investors, management experts and other potential business partners both in the U.S. and abroad
- Emerging Company Support: As an organization strongly committed to supporting early stage medical device companies, MassMEDIC offers a variety of resources, including business plan development, supplier and investor introductions, networking opportunities, programs and events.
- Events: MassMEDIC serves as a meeting place for the region’s medical device manufacturers and suppliers. The organization holds an Annual Conference in May, an Annual MedTech Investors Conference in October and a series of informational programs throughout the year on a wide range of topics of interest to MassMEDIC members, including regulatory affairs, product development trends and reimbursement issues.
Key Industry Achievements
- Federal Advocacy: MassMEDIC played a key role in the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Modernization Act and has been actively involved in a number of federal issues critical to the sustainability and growth of the U.S. medical device industry, including reimbursement reform, the Medical Device User Fee and Modernization Act (MDUFMA) and proposed revisions to the FDA’s 510(k) medical device clearance program.
- State Advocacy: On the state level, MassMEDIC fought successfully for the establishment of a state tax credit for payment of medical device user fees to the FDA. The first of its kind in the nation, this legislation grants Massachusetts medical device manufacturers a 100 percent tax credit for user fee payments associated with 510(k) or PMA products developed or manufactured in this state. MassMEDIC continues its advocacy efforts on behalf of the medical device industry at the state level on such issues as the gift ban, safer alternatives legislation and payment reform.
The Massachusetts Medical Device Industry
From the Deloitte study, The Medical Device Industry in Massachusetts, presented at MassMEDIC’s 15th Annual Conference, May 3, 2011
- Massachusetts is home to more than 400 medical device companies, with surgical and medical instrument manufacturers leading the pack
- The BayState is the second largest employer of people in the medical device industry behind only California, employing 24,268 within seven medical device manufacturing categories. Furthermore, the Massachusetts medical device industry is responsible for creating more than 80,000 jobs in related industries in the state.
- While heavily concentrated in Eastern Massachusetts, medical device firms are present in almost all regions of the state
- Massachusetts medical device firms received $286 million, or 12 percent of national medical device venture funds in 2010
- Over the past decade,Massachusetts medical device exports have been growing at more than twice the rate of the state’s exports as a whole
- Medical devices are more than 10 percent of the state’s total exports and represent $1 out of every $10 of U.S. medical device exports